April 24, 2024

Osun cleric, siblings drown inside well

Osun cleric, siblings drown inside well

Three people on Friday died in a well at a construction site located in the Owode Area of Ede, Osun State.

The deceased, identified as Adebayo Oluwasina, said to be a cleric, aged 46 years, Lateef Adediran, 22 years, and Waliu Adediran, aged 31 years, met their death while attempting to recover a fetcher that fell into a well.

A resident of Alaro Onigbin Community in Owode Ede, where the incident occurred, who preferred anonymity, said Waliu and Lateef were bricklayers engaged by Adebayo at his construction site.

He further said at the commencement of the day’s work, a fetcher being used to draw water fell into a well located within the construction site and one of the two bricklayers, went in search of it but got trapped.

“The younger of the two bricklayers were the one fetching water, and the fetcher fell inside the well. The boy entered the well to recover it but did not come out. After some minutes, his elder brother, Waliu, went into the well to rescue him, but he also got trapped inside.

“The owner of the site, Pastor Shina, also went into the well in a bid to rescue the two persons that earlier got trapped, but he also could not come. The incident threw our community into panic and firemen from Osun State Fire Service were called to the scene. They were eventually recovered from the well by the fire service men, but not alive. The incident caused apprehension among the residents,” he said.

During an interview with our correspondent, the spokesperson of Osun State Fire Service, Ibrahim Adekunle, confirmed the incident.

Adekunle said the three men were brought out of the well dead, adding that they got trapped due to the presence of ammonia gas in the well.

He said, “the victims are; Adebayo Oluwasina (pastor), 46yrs, Lateef Adediran 22yrs, and Adediran Waliu 31yrs. They are working within the compound of Mr. Adebayo (the third victim) when their drawer fell into the well. The first victim went into the well with the hope of recovering the drawer, but he was trapped down due to the presence of ammonia gas in the well.

“His elder brother Adediran Waliyu, in an effort to recover his brother, was equally trapped. The owner of the premises also tried his luck to get them out before he got trapped too. It was at this juncture that they alerted the Fire Service.

“We immediately responded and recovered the 3 victims with the coordinated efforts of Men of the State and Federal Services, Police of A’ Division Ede, and the community people. Their bodies were taken to an undisclosed hospital by the O’ Ambulance crew where they were confirmed dead and their bodies handed over to their families.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *